Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Xenial Xerus officially released by canonical. This release brings many changes and improvements, also receive security updates and bug fixes. Come with LTS versiona it will supported by cannonical for 5 years.
Here’s the Highlight of Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
- Unity as default desktop update to version 7.4, Which allowing users to moving the Unity Launcher to the bottom of the screen. Features option to ‘Always Show’ app menus in menu bar or locally, Add Session shortcuts to unity dash, A new scrollbars added to Unity Dash, Workspace switcher has gained a quick list, Option to format removable devices added to quicklist and Online searches are now disabled by default
- Compiz window manager that drives the Unity desktop updated to version 0.9.12
- Powered by long-term supported Linux kernel Series 4.4,
- GNOME Software replaces Ubuntu Software Center and Add GNOME Calendar as default calendar app
- Support most of the GNOME 3.18 packages.
- The core applications updates : Files 3.14.2 Firefox 4.5,Libreoffice 5.1, Shotwell 0.22, Rhythmbox 3.3, Transmission 2.84, thunderbird 38.6 and many more. Ubuntu 16.04 LTS also brings new default wallpaper and community wallpaper.
- For more details you can refer to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Xenial Xerus release notes