Elementary OS Freya is the latest release of Elementary OS. This release based on ubuntu 14.04 LTS featuring the latest version of pantheon desktop as the main desktop enviroment. Powered by kernel version 3.16, Gtk 3.14, and Vala 0.26.
According to Elementary OS freya announcement, This new release (codenamed Freya) comes packed with over 1,100 fixes, improvements, and new features including:
- A more discoverable, redesigned, and app-focused multitasking view
- New interactive and dismissible notifications, plus a notifications settings pane including a system-wide “Do Not Disturb” mode
- A refined look and feel that includes a refreshed system-wide stylesheet, refreshed icons, space-saving Header Bars, a dark stylesheet for apps, rounded corners on menus and dialogs, improved animations, many new and refined “symbolic” icons, intelligent transparency for the panel, and more.
- Better emoji support & drop-in replacements for Microsoft Core fonts for the web
- A new firewall tool and “privacy mode”
- Much improved Applications menu including support for “quicklist” actions, drag-and-drop from search, and support for quick math calculations
- An updated software stack including Linux 3.16, Gtk 3.14, and Vala 0.26
- A new captive portal assistant to make connecting to public WiFi easier
- Redesigned Displays, User Accounts, Applications, and Date & Time settings
- Unified login and lock screens
“With Luna, much of our work was building the first version of our desktop environment Pantheon,” said Cassidy James Blaede, UX designer at elementary. “With Freya we were able to dial in on the details like super-subtly rounded corners on the display and the new animations for maximizing. Both are small yet make the whole experience more polished. We were also able to focus much more effort on the included apps, delivering new features for existing apps and new apps alike.”
Freya’s apps have new features and fixes including (but not limited to):
- Search in Files and Terminal
- Natural Copy & Paste, Smart tab labels, and a warning when pasting commands containing “sudo” in Terminal.
- A redesigned Photos
- New Calculator, Camera, and Videos apps
- Online calendar support (Google and CalDAV)
- Improved Samba support